STAIR is currently looking to hire Site Directors for various STAIR locations.
Mission: The mission of Start The Adventure In Reading (STAIR) is to improve the reading skills and self-esteem of second graders.
Program Overview: STAIR is an after school reading program which seeks to improve the reading skills of second grade children, reading below grade level, in the Birmingham City Schools by one-on-one tutoring using well-trained community volunteers and a proven curriculum. STAIR currently has partnerships with 13 Birmingham City Schools, serving over 200 students, and utilizing over 425 volunteers. STAIR plans to increase its reach during the 2018-19 school year by adding Restoration Academy to the list of schools that are served by the program and recruiting a minimum of 100 additional volunteer tutors.
Job Description: The Site Director position is for 10 months, August through May, and is responsible for overseeing volunteers, recruiting students, and ensuring the program runs according to STAIR program standards at their site. Job duties include but are not limited to:
- Recruit and schedule tutors, substitutes, and other volunteers.
- Attend a new tutor orientation session.
- Shadow a current Site Director for at least two STAIR program sessions.
- Conduct a site orientation for all tutors on the first day of STAIR to ensure that tutors are aware of all resources and their location including lending library, SRA kits, white boards, games, etc.
- Manage materials and supplies within budget, as needed.
- Submit all program receipts bi-weekly in accordance with the STAIR monthly calendar.
- Provide the completed Student Registration Forms and the Volunteer Applications to STAIR office for duplication.
- Report the attendance of both students and tutors to the Administrative Assistant on a monthly basis.
- Attend STAIR staff meetings and tutor training sessions, as scheduled throughout the year.
- Review new student first day checklists after the student’s first week to determine placement level in curriculum of each student, Training and Testing Coordinators will assist if needed.
- Arrive or be available at site 30 minutes prior to children arriving to prepare site for tutors and STAIR students.
- Perform daily duties of the program including, but not limited to:
o Check room arrangements
o Contact school office each day STAIR meets by 12 noon to determine which STAIR children are absent, have checked out or are present, but not coming to STAIR and notify tutors via text/phone call if their child will not be present.
o Schedule substitutes if tutor cannot find one.
o Observe snack time with the children and determine is Site Assistant needs additional help.
o Greet tutors and assist with questions and selection of teaching materials.
o Welcome students at beginning of each session.
o Coordinate and pair students with tutors, taking into consideration needs of students.
o Answer questions from tutors and assist Site Assistant with behavior problems.
o Remain at site until all children are picked up.
o Ensure that all site materials are neatly organized for the next tutoring session.
o Advise tutors of students’ needs and lesson assignments, monitoring tutor lesson plan workbooks to ensure that tutors are writing comments to each other at the end of each program session.
o Check student folders periodically to notes student progress or problems.
o Make available the STAIR library, lending library and Resource Boxes, and other games and learning tools accessible to the tutors.
- Other duties as assigned.
We expect our Site Directors to use STAIR of Birmingham as a resource. The Executive Director, Training and Testing Coordinators and the Volunteer Coordinator are all qualified to assist in program, curriculum, and volunteer matters, as needed by the Site Director.
Qualifications: Candidates must have excellent interpersonal, communication and organization skills. Must be able to check email and make phone calls/send texts between 8am – 3pm. Experience in education is a plus.
Hours: The Site Director works approximately 20 hours during the month August, 32 hours/month from September through the end of April and 6 hours after the program ends in May. Site Directors are required to be on site for the program, from 2:45-5:15 PM (two days a week). Administrative duties such as communicating with volunteers, STAIR staff, and school administration takes place outside of STAIR program hours.
Salary: $600/month August - May.
To Apply: A resume, cover letter, and three professional references should be submitted to email@example.com with “Site Director” in the subject line. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Due to high volume of applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.