STAIR is currently looking to hire a Director of Volunteer Engagement.
Mission: The mission of Start The Adventure In Reading (STAIR) is to improve the reading skills and self-esteem of second graders.
Program Overview: STAIR is an after school reading program which seeks to improve the reading skills of second grade children, reading below grade level, in the Birmingham City Schools by one-on-one tutoring using well-trained community volunteers and a proven curriculum. STAIR currently has partnerships with 13 Birmingham City Schools, serving over 200 students, and utilizing over 425 volunteers. STAIR plans to increase its reach during the 2018-19 school year by adding Restoration Academy to the list of schools that are served by the program and recruiting a minimum of 100 additional volunteer tutors.
Director of Volunteer Engagement
Job Description: The components outlined below comprise the key job responsibilities of the position of Director of Volunteer Engagement of the STAIR program. The ideal candidate will have a background that reflects experience in community outreach and engagement or relevant for profit experience. The desired candidate will be one who thrives in a high-energy, high impact work environment, is 100% a self-starter, is attentive to detail and has the drive to recruit members of the community to serve as one-on-one volunteer reading tutors for second graders reading below grade level.
- Works in collaboration with team to promote STAIR priorities, programs and activities and helps ensure that STAIR is seen as a valuable children’s community literacy organization by educating volunteers, businesses, and community groups about the literacy needs of students in the community.
- Develops and executes volunteer recruitment plan with the Director of Community Engagement to increase STAIR’s presence in the community and conducts outreach to drive volunteer engagement, participation and connectivity.
- Cultivate traditional and non-traditional partners, volunteers, faith-based organizations and businesses to actively engage in the organization’s mission and efforts.
- Responsible for achieving key metrics for organization’s volunteer recruitment priorities in conjunction with established site growth and ability to add new STAIR sites.
- Works with the Director of Community Engagement to promote STAIR of Birmingham, expand community outreach to target new pools of tutors and other program volunteers.
- Seeks out and attends fairs, conferences, events and speaks to civic, business and community groups to provide information about STAIR to the community.
- Attends and participates in activities/events related to the STAIR program that are sponsored or promoted by other organizations in the Birmingham community.
- Works with STAIR’s Junior Board and the Director of Development to come up with effective volunteer recruitment strategies and plan yearly fundraising event.
- Communicates with volunteers and site directors to identify stories that can be used by the Director of Community Engagement in online and print literature.
Tutor Training, Placement and Retention:
- Records and maintains accurate and up-to-date volunteer/tutor information in the database.
- Contacts potential tutors, registers them for training, handles all volunteer paperwork and reminds them of upcoming training and events.
- Creates volunteer survey twice a year in conjunction with Director of Community Engagement. Reviews data and develops plan to address areas of improvement.
- Plans, conducts and evaluates tutor trainings during the fall, winter and spring.
- Coordinates new tutors observing a seasoned tutor prior to working with a student.
- Informs site directors of new tutors, provides them with tutor contact information, and follows up to make sure that new tutors have been integrated into the program.
- Visits and monitors sites on a regular basis, especially those sites with new tutors.
- Plans, coordinates and executes monthly lunch and learn training sessions for tutors.
- Attends STAIR site staff trainings and meetings to provide data related to tutor management.
- Works with STAIR staff to increase volunteer retention.
- Assists site directors in recognizing the volunteers/tutors at their sites.
- Works with STAIR partners (schools, churches, colleges, etc.) to ensure that volunteers/tutors are recognized by those entities where applicable.
- Works with the Director of Community Engagement to send end of year volunteer Thank You cards during National Volunteer Week to individual tutors and volunteer partners.
- Plans and implements end of year volunteer reception in May.
- Creates volunteer recognition program for volunteer milestones.
- Coordinates, manages and maintains all volunteer administration functions including database management, volunteer information forms, tracks and records all volunteer hours, consents, and background checks for all volunteers with the help of the Administrative Coordinator.
- Works with the Director of Community Engagement to update volunteer information on the website.
- Performs other activities as deemed necessary by the Executive Director.
- Acquires, updates and maintains volunteer information forms, consents, and background checks for all volunteers.
- Reviews Volunteer Handbook annually for edits and updates.
- Distributes volunteer resources and recognition materials to sites.
- Works with Executive Director and other STAIR staff to determine need for volunteers for fundraising events or office work.
- Manages and oversees interns; develops and maintains relationships with Internship Programs in the Birmingham area.
- Contacts potential volunteers and supervises their efforts for office work and/or workdays.
Qualifications: B.S./B.A. in Public Administration, Communication, Non-Profit Sector Management or equivalent or at least two years relevant work experience, with some experience in a nonprofit sector.
Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
Demonstrated computer literacy, including expertise in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint, and Outlook), knowledge of Survey Monkey, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn and other social media platforms. Familiarity with project management platforms such as Asana, Trello, etc.
Excellent interpersonal, communication and organization skills, as well as attention to detail. Able to manage multiple and diverse responsibilities in a dynamic and fast paced environment. Event planning and volunteer management experience a plus.
Valid driver’s license with regular access to a vehicle covered by valid auto liability insurance.
Hours: 30-hour work week, with core hours occurring between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday – Thursday. Must be available most afternoons between 3pm – 5pm from August through October and again in January for volunteer trainings and site visits. Some evening and weekend work is required on occasion.
Salary Range: $28,000 to $31,000 annually DOE.